Wednesday, January 28, 2015

La Musique Français


My whole life I have loved music. I've been in band since fifth grade and choir since I can remember. While studying French the best way for me to put what I learned into context was through music. French music is something that I love to listen to it. From the classic Edith Piaf to the up and coming Stromae and Black M. The beats are so catchy and the words are so lyrical and beautiful. The beauty of French comes out so easily in their music. I don't always know one word the artist are saying, but I have great emotional connections to the music. Below you will be introduced to some famous musicians of today, as well as the old classics.




Stromae was one of the first French pop artists that I got familiarized with. My sister bought me his new album for Christmas last year. I listened to it constantly all year, by far my favorite gift. Stromae is from Belgium and his music is very percussive and tech-no. The video above is his music video for "formidable". This song is singing "Wonder, wonderful, you were wonderful, I was terrible, we were wonderful". Hes apologizing to his girlfriend or lover for all his mistakes. He is truly sorry, and knows he messed up. Stromae's music is almost a movement for the youth of France. He is beginning to be famous in America as well.


Black M is a very famous rapper/hip-hop artist in France. A foreign exchange student named Cindy (from France) showed him to me. His style is more fast moving words that are hard to understand, but it sounds fantastic. I only hope to be able to understand him some day, and sing along. His music is different from Stromae but they're in the same music genre and industry.

And saving the best for last, the great Edith Piaf. She is known around the world for her "classic French" sound. She is recognized as the "Judy Garland of France". Her music shows off how whimsical and optimistic French is. There is hope and hardship in her music. The emotion she shares to her audience can never be out done  by Black M or Stromae. Her music is the accompaniment to your dreams of walking through Paris late at night. The melody takes you somewhere wonderful and peaceful. Edith Piaf's music will never be forgotten, and the world will continue to listen.    

No comments:

Post a Comment